Tuesday, December 30, 2014

How it all began

I have been living blocks away from the Ballona Creek Wetlands in Los Angeles for 15 years. I have jogged, walked and biked on the creek on and off for years, and have always enjoyed the urban oasis that it provides, especially since the city began allowing the foliage to flourish unfettered by fears of fabled floods. After a lackluster mid-life attempt at surfing, I sought a similar thrill that was easier to pick-up and required less gear and planning: skateboarding of course. Coincidentally, around the same time that I got a skateboard, I finally ordered the field guide to Southern California coastal birds that was always checked out from my local library. The final ingredient was already in my closet: a killer pair of binoculars that I had purchased for a trip to the Anza-Borrego desert in hopes of spotting the elusive Big Horn Sheep. I was ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment